Dental implants are the most durable and functional tooth replacement option available today. The implant is comprised of a titanium post that serves as the root of your replacement tooth, a porcelain crown, and an abutment that attaches the dental crown to the implant. With proper oral care, a dental implant can replace a natural tooth for a lifetime.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Convenience. Once the implant is placed, it serves all the functions of a natural tooth. No eating restrictions or speaking impediments.
- Oral health. With other tooth replacement options, the bone where the root used to be may deteriorate over time, causing neighboring teeth to shift and loosen. Implants are the only option that helps prevent bone loss in the jawline.
- Reliability. Implant placement surgery is one of the most effective types of surgery with a success rate of over 95%.
- Confidence. Implants are nearly indistinguishable from natural teeth. Smile more often with a full, healthy set of teeth.
Placing the Implant
First, your dentist in Elmhurst, IL will take x-rays of your mouth and determine the optimal placement of the implant along your jawline. Once the implant has been surgically placed, the abutment and crown will be attached during restoration procedures. Most patients report less pain during recovery than with wisdom teeth extractions, but any discomfort can be treated with over-the-counter pain medication. If you are anxious about any stage in the implant procedure, the team at Radianté Dental & Facial Spa is always ready and willing to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
When several neighboring teeth are missing, an implant-supported bridge is the optimal treatment option for replacing them. An implant bridge consists of three major aspects, the dental implant, abutments, and the dental bridge. A traditional dental implant bridge consists of an artificial tooth connected to two crowns on both sides that are placed on two neighboring dental implants that hold the bridge in place. A dental implant bridge may be used to replace three or more missing teeth.
When multiple neighboring teeth are missing, the bone will begin to resorb and shrink at a rapid pace. The surrounding teeth will begin to shift and move into the open space. The remaining teeth begin to overcompensate for the lost teeth and they too risk being lost.
Advantages of a dental implant bridge:
- Efficient chewing
- Normal biting force and sensation
- Natural appearance
- Preservation of bone